2010-09-13

Swedish Nationals – Tournament Report

So, I played my wacky deck and had three fun games. I’m not sure if my initial prey or predator had a fun game in any of them but no one yelled at me or hit me so I pretend everyone was happy.

Round 1
Kasper Kristensen (Ventrue Breed/Boon) –> Tomas Wallmur (Helena Advanced) –> Henrik Klippström (Euro Brujah) –> Me –> Ville Kaijasaari (Guruhi Master heavy)kineresourcescontested
Henrik was the first person to give me the idea of using Pressing  Flesh together with Escaped Mental Patients back at our ECQ this year and it was extra fun to give him a taste of it. I didn’t draw any Inceptor early (I played almost 40 cards before seeing the first one) but the Agent of Powers and Abebe was enough to give the deck a good start. Soon I had graverobbed both Donal O’Connor and Nana Buruku and while my prey got low on pool the table, as expected, started to conspire against me. Kasper decided to lunge into me with three Kine Resources Contested when I was at twelve pool so I made a desperate deal with him granting him two Victory Points before I would do any damage to him so he changed his mind. This was a huge mistake and I could have dealt with the situation in two other different ways:
1. Giving him a similar deal but clearly make sure that I would still rush his minions, vote against his referendums and bleed heavily into him during the process.
2. Instead threatening him to spend my last game round (Maybe I would have survived one more turn and I could always bluff having a wake or similar) attacking him instead of ousting my prey if he voted damage my way.
Instead I went too easy on him. I ousted my prey and Tomas ousted Henrik. Tomas and argued that I should deal break but I wasn’t in the mood to do so. I play a fun deck and I have never broke a deal before so this wasn’t going to be the first time. Probably silly of me because breaking that deal would have gave me the game win for sure. Kasper was to strong in the duel since he had saved up lots of Majestys on hand, me having exhausted my library and him having minion superiority. I also made some silly mistakes but nothing that changed fact.
Kasper GW 3VP
Tomas 1VP
Me 1VP

Round 2
Magnus Löf (Lutz & Friends) –> Michael Holmström (!Ventrue sticks) –> Johan Mononen (!Salubri rush & blood deny) –> Alex Ek (Kiasyd s/b) –> Meblackhorsetanner
This round started a little like the first. I had a quick start  graverobbing Lutz and diablerizing Pherydima. Problem was Alex influenced out small caps and created Nocturns so he did some serious pool damage to me so I had to play Golconda on Lutz. It looked pretty bad anyhow but Johan did his best attacking Alex, not leaving much in defence. I ousted Magnus and Johan was gone soon thereafter (or was it the other way around?). Alex drew very bad and couldn’t oust me and my last four or so pool even if I was almost tapped out. Michael killed him too and again I was in a duel where I was the weaker part.
Michael GW 4VP
Me 1 VP

Round 3
Me –> Helena Löf (Presence Weenie) –> Isak Bjärmark Esbjörnsson (Kiasyd s/b) –> Jonas Nyrén (Shambling Hordes)pressingflesh
I had to focus all my energy towards Helena at the start or she would have got Isak really quick. I also had to be careful with my ash heap since Jonas had Giovanni del Georgio in play and could have used his special to remove Escaped Mental Patients, making me unable to play Pressing Flesh. This wasn’t any real problem sine four of my Pressing Flesh was amongst the five last cards in the library. I had to recruit the patients the hard way and that slowed me down. I had plenty of Fake Out on hand and didn’t see any maneuvers played by Jonas so before ousting Helena I rushed and graverobbed The Arcadian but were forced to play Golconda on him to survive. I think I rushed Isak one round too late because once again I was in a duel and this time I didn’t draw any Pressing Flesh.
Isak GW 3VP
Me 1VP

The deck did quite well but it was too new to me to really shine. I will continue working on it to make it even more focused and able to really kill the whole table. It’s interesting to see that my Grandprey won all my three games, and that they all were pretty similar. My initial prey or predator (maybe with the exception of Alex in round 2) were quickly neutralized. I think I need to start spreading my attacks earlier on but the deck takes some more testing before really knowing how to play it at its best. It is a really effective concept and even if it looks like there are many moving parts it's not that hard to get the ball rolling.
First of all I think I have to increase the library to around 70 cards. I am going to remove Information Highway since I just discarded them if I didn’t draw one early. Pentex is also not needed. The times that I needed to play it were when it already looked way too bad for me. I definitely need a second Golconda and some more Sibyl’s Tongue. The rest of the library Increase will probably just be more of the already featured cards. You haven't seen the last of this, that’s for sure.

10 comments:

  1. I was really surprised that you made any VPs with this deck in this highly competitive environment, let alone you were close to making a GW. Congrats on that! I think, I underestimated the power of having like 7+9 potential rushes + agg. damage in your deck. It's like sort of a Weenie Dragon's Breath Round deck. I made my own version based on yours. Refer to http://www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?deck=view&id=4527 Basically I made a 70 cards decks as you suggested, and removed the 5 Inceptors (I am not too fond of that card). Instead I added some pool gain with an extra Golconda and Powerbase:Zurich (always good with Weenie Obfuscate & also a reason for some extra stealth cards), and bit of defense with 6 reaction cards. But take look for yourself!

    I was also looking for a better crypt (group 1&2 or 2&3), but I must say the combination you found is probably already the best ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going without Inceptor you need more Agent of Power or vampires with thn. In the first game I managed to handle myself only because I drew Abebe in the starting crypt and all Agent of Power early. I also managed to graverob only because I did it with vampires I had already graverobbed who had dom.
    Inceptor is a tricky card but it is simply too good not to include and what makes this deck having potential and not just being goofy and fun.
    But please tell me how it works for you if you play test it.

    / Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really fun to see the deck, as I said built it with larger caps and Josette and it wasnt that succesful at all. unfortunately I think it will be hard to get it above that threshold where you can control two other methuselahs, but at the same tiem someone else is growing too strong. I will look forward to reading of your further exploits with the deck and as always it was a pleasure to play against you./ Tomas W

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not convinced you are right, Tomas. I did a little thinking in the excavator today and I could have played all my games different. In our game for example I could have sent Henrik's last minion to torpor instead of rushing to bleed Ville out. Then I could have attacked Kasper before ousting to at least get vote lock and instead opt to get a duel with you. There are so many options playing a deck like this and when making the right ones I actually think you can dominate four other players.
    And thanks for the game, as you said - a pleasure like always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to see you succeed with the deck. Our table was next to perfect for you with the obvious exception of Kaspers deck and I agree with you that you definately had a chance to take the 3 remaining vp:s if you had broken the necessary deal made, but I unfortunately think it will be more the exception than the rule only the future will tell and I wish you luck and look forward to reading your further exploits with it. Thanks for a very entertaining blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was this one of those environments I've heard about where no one ever tries to block anything? Given the high number of dangerous actions this deck takes, I'm surprised that they succeed as often as they seem to. Very cool deck, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The critical actions occur before anyone else has any minions. When they do your Patients should be ready to rush prey and predator. Most of the game only you and your cross table buddies have any minions.
    Early blocking kills the deck but at this very tournament I didn't face any.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, okay. I'm used to people playing with plenty of block tech and combat defense, but I can see how this would work if no one stops you early and gets killed by the Patients later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When thinking about it again I think you are right - It is a meta with little combat defense and block. I've become so used to it that I almost don't see it as a meta anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Then more power to you for having identified the metagame without realizing you were doing so! :)

    ReplyDelete