2010-08-08

Strategy – Library size

I have hesitated writing strategy articles in this blog before since I don’t see myself as anything else than a mediocre player. But when it comes to balancing a library I think I have come pretty far in my thinking. I use to hear “I think you have built this deck as good as it is possible” from good and experienced players when they see my weirdest decks. Let’s just ignore the fact that they add “But you probably wont win any tournament with it.” for now and concentrate on the fact that one of my least weak feats in Jyhad is the ability to build a well-balanced deck.

All the time people build 90-card libraries and I am not only talking about inexperienced players, people still win tournaments with 90-card libraries all the time. So far in 2010 43/123 decks in the TWDA have 90-card libraries and quite some are close with more than 80 cards. The way I see it almost no library at all should contain 90 cards. The only exception I can think of right now is decks exploiting Guillame Giovanni’s ability to increase hand size by one for every location controlled.

So, what is the reasoning behind my thesis? A library of 90 cards is never exhausted (unless target of some serious mill tactics but in that way 90 cards doesn’t help either). The fewer cards to shuffle, the lesser risk of drawing big chunks of one type of a card at the wrong time. In other words, a 60-card library gives it’s player a more reliable distribution than a 90-card one. This is simple (maybe not so simple but still) mathematics. Still normally intelligent people and players that are better than me argue that 90 cards is the way to go. I understand the inexperienced player, I was there when I restarted playing Jyhad late 2007, in that he want so many cards and its painful enough to lower the desired deck-size to 90 cards but players constantly active since 1994? I just don’t get it.

At the summer of 2008 I started to build 60-cards libraries and my results improved a little. Problem was that I went from strict 90 to strict 60 and that is actually too few in many cases. Late 2008 I tried 70, 75 and 80 cards but it wasn’t until late 2009 I entered a tournament with a library of a number not dividable by 5. This is not important for this article but it shows how I locked myself thinking “I shall build a 60/70/75/80/90-cards deck”.

What I have been doing the last months is to try and build every deck a 60-cards deck and increase its numbers after play-testing if needed. This way I get the best possible distribution when testing and rebuilding my deck. I also know what amount of cards is right from experience of having just a handful cards left when winning a standard 5-player table. I break this rule now and then claiming to “know” that 60 cards is too few but I promise to be better following my own concept in the future. As a meaningless fact I can tell you that the 7 decks I have in my bag for the moment contains 60, 64, 70, 72, 73, 76 and 76 cards.

What to think of when building small decks? I try to study actual games to see how many cards of a certain type I actually need and not how many I want. Of course you always want to deflect every bleed that hits you but how many times do you want to have your hand size decreased by 1 for the bounce card, pay one blood to bounce and stay untapped or keep a wake at hand to be able to bounce? Maybe not as many times as you think. This is just one example that is possible to apply to many different types of cards. How many times do your combat deck actually need to play Taste of Vitae during a game and do you need a Blur in each round or is it okay to just hit for 2 with your Magnum some times?

Probably this is nothing new for most of you and stubborn players keeping every deck at 90 cards wont be convinced by reading this but hopefully there are some details in my writing worth taking into consideration for some of you.

Good luck fellow deck-shrinkers!

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree. The 90-card deck size is pasé. One reson ppl might want to play a 90 card deck is that they usually play games that are longer then the avarage tournament table.

    In the Örebro playgroup were I play, noone plays 90card decks. At our weekly game, the thickest decks are 80ish cards and those decks run liqudation.

    The slimmed deck is the way to go. But Liquadtion/ashur combo makes it a little harder to analyze.

    Isak,
    swedish NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually run decks in the 65-80 card range, exceeding that mainly with card-intensive combat or fast cycling S&B(that has staying power). You're right, there's no particular reason your deck should be divisible by five, unless you are obsessed with probability perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you are right Isak, We always play with a 2h time-limit. One thing I haven't got is why the Ashur Tablets/Liquidation decks need to run so many cards. I have never played Liquidation myself so I won't know but how many Liquidation do you play per full set of Ashur Tablets? If you play two you lose 14 cards but gain 13 so a deck running that ratio should contain as many cards as it play. Of course you can count the two Liquidation and three Ashur Tablets as five more lost cards but still?

    Brandon: Is there really a fast cycling S&B de´ck that manages not to sweep any table if it gets to play say 70 cards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a malk/!Malk w/presence vote/bleed deck that uses Dreams and Barrens, plus multi-acting through S:CE and Untap, so I burn through a good number of cards. My defense module is also like 6x reduction, 6-7x bounce and 8-10 wakes, which have proved very helpful. Between burning 2-3 cards between my turns and a mix of bleed, combat, vote, stealth, and vote push cards, I use a LOT of cards. I nearly exhausted my library of about 90 cards last time I played it. Dreams helps me get the right cards, but I end up having to discard a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, make it 75 then. Seriously you might be right but when I play standard Ventrue (that works in a similar way and is card intensive) I use to play about 75 cards and that is defenately enough. I would remove whole elements from a deck of the type you describe to narrow it down(starting with bleed reduce) but that is another topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the deck is built that way for a reason. I want it to be toolboxy and resilient with good ousting power. I survived against Malk 94 the other day when it has a particularly weak predator, which should say something. I then went on to get a VP before finally dying.

    ReplyDelete