2010-04-27

Westgota Nidbryggeri - Bonnatwist Bitter, Part 2 - Bottling

Yesterday the yeast had done its work and it was time to start bottling. The brew smelled nice of Amarillo hops when we opened the bucket. First we used a hydrometer to see how much sugar that had turned into alcohol and if our calculations are right Bonnatwist Bitter will have an ABV of 4.1%. We mixed a small amount of the brew with brewing sugar for it to carbonate while on bottle. We then pumped the rest of the brew into the mix in a second bucket. Then we started pumping the brew on bottles sterilised primary in an ordinary oven. We filled 54½ bottle, most of them being 33cl and some 50cl. The bottle cap-tool worked out fine and everything is now stored and should be perfectly enjoyable in about two months. We will gather and open a bottle or two already in about ten days to see what it tastes like. In that amount of time it should be fully carbonated and drinkable. These are exciting beer times!

4 comments:

  1. Good to see your beer is coming along well! I may start home brewing sometime in the near future myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, you have to keep me updated. Are there many great microbreweries in your parts of the country? I'm bad a American beer geography but I am a big fan of American beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a lot of microbreweries nearby, although I don't think they are internationally known. Santa Cruz Mountain Brewery, Seabright, Uncommon Ales and Santa Cruz Ale Works. Further North you have Gordon Biersh, Lagunitas, Steelhead, Anchor, Pacific Coast, Pyramid, Bear Republic, etc. I found this list online:

    http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/guide-to-bay-area-breweries.html

    I'm a hop-head, so I love Lagunitas.

    ReplyDelete