2010-03-26

Tournament losing deck archive - Ravnos Toolbox

Since I'm a collector by nature I off course have saved all my old deck lists and I got the idea to share with you my very first tournament deck.
To give you the correct perspective I figure I give you my background to this game. Me and some friends played Jyhad and then V:Tes when it was released and I kept buying some boosters now and then up to Original Sabbat. We never really played any real or competitive games and the vast majority of games I played was duels with my friend Lars. I also vaguely remember some insane games with like 9 players at the local gaming club in Karlstad. What I want to tell is that I never got any real experience in what the game is really about back then.
So late 2007 Lars moved to Göteborg where I live and we talked about this old game and our duels. My table-top gaming friend Mattias overheard and told us that Jyhad where still played and even still supported to our great surprise. We quickly bought some cards and started to play slowly understanding that this was a game for 4-5 players. I played Gangrel and Ravnos back in the days so my first buy was the Ravnos starter deck from Lords of the Night. In January 2008 it was time for my first tournament experience and the following deck is what I played:

Deck Name : Ravnos - Magnum Reality
Author : Stefan Karlsson

Crypt [12 vampires] Capacity min: 3 max: 8 average: 6.16667
------------------------------------------------------------

3x Vasiliy Vasilevich 8 ANI CHI for pro Ravno:5
2x Kiradin 8 CHI DEM FOR ani pot Ravno:4
2x Chavi Oraczko 7 ANI CHI FOR nec Ravno:5
2x Callirus 5 CHI FOR ani Ravno:4
1x Brian Thompson 4 ani chi for Ravno:4
1x Marion French 3 ani chi Ravno:4
1x Neel Ramanathan 3 ani for Ravno:4


Library [90 cards]
------------------------------------------------------------

Action [10]
4x Mass Reality
3x Restoration
3x Sensory Deprivation

Action Modifier [9]
6x Fata Morgana
3x Freak Drive

Action Modifier/Combat [7]
3x Mirror Image
4x Occlusion

Combat [20]
5x Carrion Crows
6x Indomitability
4x Rolling with the Punches
2x Soak
3x Taste of Vitae

Equipment [9]
5x .44 Magnum
3x Camera Phone
1x Treasured Samadji

Master [17]
2x Blood Doll
1x Fortitude
1x Fortune Teller Shop
1x Giant's Blood
1x Kumpania
2x Minion Tap
1x Park Hunting Ground
2x Path of Paradox, The
4x Svadharma
2x Vessel

Reaction [15]
3x Cats' Guidance
5x Ignis Fatuus
2x Instinctive Reaction
2x On the Qui Vive
3x Rat's Warning

Retainer [3]
2x Raven Spy
1x Tasha Morgan


There is so many faults with this deck I really don't know where to start. First of all it is a Ravnos Toolbox, an archetype known of bleeding some, blocking some, cursing some, fighting some and not taking any victory points. Do I need to tell that I didn't get a single victory point during the tournament? Second of all my card collection was very limited so I couldn't build exactly the deck I would have built if I had unlimited card access. It is also a hopeless 90-card deck with some really weird choices. The whole Magnum / Mass Reality thing is really bad idea and I smile while looking at the deck list.
I remember parts of my first game clearly. My prey was Max Widén and my predator was Erik Torstensson. Max was doing great and ousted his two first preys pretty quickly. I remember trying to deal with Erik to leave me alone to oust Max when he got low on pool but Erik refused. Then Max suddenly saw no chance of a game win because Erik had tooled up well and he wanted to self-oust to leave the table with no game win. The judge didn't let him and I understood nothing of this whole mess and was ousted quickly thereafter.
However this first tournament made me want to play more and since then I have been playing in 23 more constructed tournaments, only scoring one win, and I still enjoy it very much. I am in the mood to make an improved version of this tacky deck and try and play it today but I don't know if it's worth the effort. Please share your ideas as comments if you have any because it would be great fun to actually make something out of this. And remember, I have 23 more tournament losing decks to give you so shout if you want more. This is not the worst one, trust me.

2 comments:

  1. Bra läsning! Ser fram emot fler utav dess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe I´v got alot of these tournament loosing decks too. Keep em coming Stefan.
    Nice read.

    ReplyDelete