2010-01-29

Belgium Beer Trip Planning Night

Me, the genius who gives us this, this guy and the bloke behind this are visiting Belgium late February for a nice beer weekend. Yesterday it was time to do some serious planning. Three of us gathered and this is what we had to strengthen our minds:

Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon Second Edition
Norway
ABV: 16%
Rating: 3
I really want to like this kind of beer but I have to admit I'm not man enough. I appreciate the dark and powerful notes of coffee and soy but it just too powerful and alcohol heavy. Somewhere after finishing half the glass I experienced a note of Swedish julmust that was very pleasant. It has a rustic feeling about it and after finishing it I felt like I had been licking an old dusty sofa at an old lady's place - in a kind of good way. I really like to rate this beer 1 and 5 at the same time and the boring mathematics sets the rating to 3.







Stone Vertical Epic 07
USA
ABV: 8.4%
Rating: 3
A pretty decent American attempt in making a Belgian Ale. Notable is that it tastes Belgian with no signs of American hop for good and bad. Sadly it is pretty mediocre although it has some nice spicy notes and a distinct taste of Almond that reminds a little of Dr. Pepper.










Braunstein Heritage 2009
Denmark
ABV: 10.5%
Rating: 3
This is a very interesting beer. Tastes a lot of juniper and gives a feeling of wooden handicraft, don't ask me why. It is sweet and has subtle notes of smoke and tar. The thing that brings down its rating is that it has almost no bitterness and a very weak aftertaste.









No comments:

Post a Comment